link

ads

Thursday, March 29, 2012

My First Last


     The first major last of my college football career has come and gone.  My last spring football is in the books, and I will never have one again.  Overall, I think this has been one of the most enjoyable springs I have had in a while and that has translated to the field.  Many of the coaches have noticed and commented that I have been playing with "more confidence."  I think this is a result of being more relaxed and trying to have fun, like most seniors do their last year.  But I think the whole defense has been playing with more of a swagger and hope that this carries over into summer workouts and into the season.

     The spring game is like any other scrimmage for me, but we get to have some fans there supporting us! I like seeing the fans and getting to interact with them after the game...but during the scrimmage it's all business, trying to earn your spot and beating the offense.  Business that day was taking place on scorching hot rubber field!  It was definitely the hottest day of the spring and after a while your cleats begin to feel like they are on fire.  The rubber on the field can get up to 160+ degrees.  We were definitely fighting the heat, but overall I think we had a good scrimmage.  The first drive was a wake up call for the defense as were driven down the field and scored on.  But from there, we woke up and stepped up to the plate as we fought the offense.  I was able to get some good tackles and give a big hit that got the crowd going.  A lot of people asked if i was talking smack to him as I was getting up, but honestly I never say anything to the opponent.  I let my actions do the talking, and talking smack doesn't do anything but get your opponent pumped up.  So I just like to be the silent and maybe push their head into the ground as I'm getting up for extra emphasis!  Many teammates and peers have told me that I need to celebrate more when I make plays, but I guess I'm just not that surprised when I do something good... Maybe I'll work on that.

     As I was walking off the field for the last time this spring, I had a weird foreshadowing type feeling of how it will feel when college football is all over.  I'm not ready for this to be over, so I better make every second count because there is not much time left.  I've been putting my blood, sweat, and tears into this for four years and I'm ready for it to pay off.  I have high hopes for this year, and this spring was a great start to what I have in mind...

-Student of the Game

Video Highlights of the Spring Game from YouTube:






No comments:

Post a Comment