link

ads

Sunday, April 29, 2012

Role Models


     This past week I had an opportunity to go visit with kids at Cooper West Elementary School.  Seth Doege, DJ Johnson, and I went to wish the kids good luck on their STARR tests and sign autographs.  When we arrived there was an excitement about the staff and the kids that was very noticeable.  We were signed into the front office and then sent to their auditorium/cafeteria.  The kids, coming in the auditorium, were wide eyed and excited to see us.  One kid was even wearing Seth's jersey.  When all the kids were there, I was given a microphone with no instruction on what to say... maybe I should have thought of this before.  Well I struggled through a welcome speech with a little raider power chant and encouragement to do well in school.  Then I handed the microphone to the more experienced social speaker Seth.  Seth and DJ both took their turn thanking them for having us and giving them encouragement, then it was on to the autographs!  After we got to take pictures with the classes of students and teachers, and also have a question and answer with the students.  They asked us things like: what job do you want, what was your best game, and what made you choose Texas Tech?  It was very impressive to see how much they knew about us and how great of fans they were.  It was a fun experience that we get a lot of chances to do in the community, and I love it every time.

     As we were driving home, we started talking about how those kids used to be us.  It's crazy to think that back in the day we were in their shoes and looked up to football players.  I remember when I was growing up always mimicking my favorite football players and keeping up with them any way I could.  Football players were my role models and I dreamed of being a Stephenville Yellow Jacket one day.  Whether we like it or not, us football players are role models for kids and even our peers.  They look at everything we do and everything we say, and with internet today that is easier than ever.  All you have to do is get on Facebook or Twitter and see inside what we are doing and saying.  What we put out on the internet and what we do when others are around effects our image and also effects the kids who see it.  If we do it, then it must be right and the cool thing to do.  Therefore, we have an obligation to set a good example and do right because the whole world is watching!  Some players don't understand this and the stuff they put on the internet is terrible.  This not only gives us a bad image and a bad example, but also possibly jeopardizing future employment.  With the internet, once it's out there...it's out there.  Any bad stuff you do will end up on your future employers desk.  This is why I strive to not only be a good person, but also to be a good role model.  I invest in my future, and try and leave my mark by the things that I do and accomplish.  There is only one way to do this, "Don't talk about it, BE about it."  I believe when you strive to be great in everything that you do... the goals and dreams will take care of themselves.

-Student of the Game

Matthew 5:14-16 
“You are the light of the world. A city that is set on a hill cannot be hidden. Nor do they light a lamp and put it under a basket, but on a lampstand, and it gives light to all who are in the house. Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works and glorify your Father in heaven."

No comments:

Post a Comment